Installation Guide for Security patches in Magento 2
Security is the key thing every store owner is concerned about in their eCommerce stores. Exclusively, when digital fraud is becoming a serious alarm that can harm your business. Apparently, every day, we see a lot of news stories of cybersecurity threats, such as hacking, phishing attacks, and credit card fraud, unprotected online services, or data errors, and more.
Magento provides various versions of security patches to diminish security holes that can harm websites using Magento. Don’t skip this post if you are looking for an easy-to-understand introduction to security patches along with the installation guide.
Introduction of security patches in Magento
We can say that a security patch is a fix of a program that helps eliminate the vulnerabilities caused due to the potential attackers. such fixes are supplied as a self-installing code. It implies that you can install such kinds of security fixes also if your application is running, even they will be automatically updated and save the result. Keep in mind that any security patch files are launched for your software; you should install them ASAP.
However, many sources offer security patches now; you must pick out an official as well as a reliable source to install; else, other sources may provide harmful patches for your business software application.
Why Should You Go for the Magento 2 security patches?
Every store should utilize security patches to make its website protected from malicious hackers. If that’s not done, your website is open for potential attackers who can access the admin board of your website as well as fascinating your eCommerce store anytime easily. The outcome of ignoring security patches is tremendously dangerous. Here are four general consequences of a Magento 2 website if your website got hacked.
- Webstore servers can get compromised by attackers
- Ransomware can be installed into your store
- Customer’s Credit card information can get stolen
- Malware can easily be installed into your store, further spreading as well as affecting your viewers directly
Magento has launched many security patches this year. You can check this out at https://magento.com/security.
Installation Guide for Security patches in Magento 2
We can’t find a universal method defined to install security patches in Magento 2 because of variations in the hosting environment. Therefore, we are here listing ways to install Magento 2 Security patches; you can pick out the most suitable one to apply. —
First, we are considering Composer installing Magento 2 security patches for your business website. In that case, it’s so important to carry out comprehensive testing before deploying any patch on your business website to discover the issue with your coding. Once this step is completed, it’s the right time to apply a security patch on your store by following the steps mentioned below.
Note: If you are running Magento 2.4.0 then, you should upgrade to Magento 2.4.1 since released patches in this version resolve significant vulnerabilities for potential eCommerce stores.
- In the first step, you need to open your command line application and then scroll to access your project directory.
- Secondly, you need to append the cweagans/composer-patches plugin to the composer.json file.
composer require cweagans/composer-patches
- Afterwards, you just need to modify the composer.json file in order to add the below section to specify:
Title: “MAGETWO-56934: Checkout page freezes when ordering with Authorize.net with invalid credit card”
Path to patch: “patches/composer/github-issue-6474.diff”
“MAGETWO-56934: Checkout page freezes when ordering with Authorize.net with invalid credit card”: “patches/composer/github-issue-6474.diff”
If any patch affects many modules, you need to build some patch files targeting various modules.
- In the fourth step, it’s time to apply the patch. You are recommended to use the -v option only if you looking to see the debugging information.
composer -v install
- In the find step, update the composer.lock file. This file will track the patches that have been applied to every Composer package in an object.
composer update –lock
Using the command line
If you are preferring to use the command line, the below steps should be considered:
- In the first step, you need to use SSH, SFTP, FTP, or any normal transport approach in order to upload the local file on the server.
- After that, you need to log into the server as the Magento admin user to confirm that the file is sited in the right directory.
- In the command-line window, you need to run the following command :
patch < patch_file_name.patch
The command assumes that the patched file is sited in the patch file.
Presume you find “File to patch” in the command line; keep in mind that it cannot be positioned in the intended directory, whether you find that the patch looks accurate. The command line terminal will display a box that includes the patched file in the first line. All you need to do at the moment is to copy as well as paste the file path into the “File to patch”.
- To carry out the installation and enable the system to create a new cache, you are recommended to flush the cache in the Admin by navigating to System > Tools > Cache Management.
If you are preferring to use Github, the below steps should be considered:
- Firstly, you need to generate a directory for patches. You are needed to navigate the website’s working directory as well as build a patch directory to store the Magento patches.
- In the second step, you need to copy Magento patches to the directory generated. You can surely use SSH, FTP-client, and other tools you see appropriate for this step.
- In the final step, create a patch file. Run this command:
git diff > ./patches/patchForModule.patch.
In final words, I would like to say that installing Security Patches plays a vital role in any Magento 2 development. Not only does it assist your website keep away from vulnerabilities, but it moreover prevents possible hackers from attacking as well as causing dangerous consequences which affect the reputation of your website. Hopefully, with the help of our blog, you will get a supportive guide on Security Patches in Magento 2 Installation.
If you are facing any problem related to a security hole on the Magento 2 store, feel free to comment here as well as contact us; we will help you and assist you as soon as possible. Apart from that, share our blog with your friends if you find it helpful.
Thanks for reading!